- Students are considered for identification through either a referral, screening, or transfer records:
Referral of students may come from a teacher, parent, and/or the student him or herself
Screening occurs by using available DoDEA assessment data for currently enrolled students or, using assessment data from the transferring school system. Screening never excludes a student from consideration in the identification process.
- Within DoDEA schools: Students who have been receiving gifted services at the previous school are automatically eligible for services at the receiving school
- Outside of DoDEA schools: DoDEA complies with procedures as stated within the Military Interstate Compact Agreement for identified gifted students moving into a DoDEA school as a result of a Permanent Change of Station (PCS).
- Permission of parent or guardian must be obtained before gathering additional information and completing the assessment of each student
- Data gathering of multiple criteria to develop a student profile:
- Multiple measures are required for analysis to identify a student as eligible for the DoDEA Gifted Education Program.
- Instruments used to measure giftedness must be valid, reliable and quantify diverse abilities and talents. Multiple criteria may include rating scales, anecdotal information, observations, performance assessments, achievement test data and/or ability test data
- Determination of gifted program services for eligible students is the decision of the local school Gifted Review Committee.
No single instrument or score is used to determine eligibility for services.
- Communication concerning the outcome of the Gifted Review Committee's decision will be mailed directly to the child's parents or guardian.
A parent or guardian of a student found ineligible for gifted program services may appeal the committee's decision in writing to the school principal. The principal's decision will be rendered in writing within 14 school days of receipt of the parent or guardian appeal. Please speak with your building principal to confirm receipt of your appeal letter.
DoDEA Gifted Education Instructional Systems Specialist
4800 Mark Center Drive
Alexandria, VA 22350-1400