Department of Defense Education Activity

Educator License Renewal (Recertification)

All educators must be recertified every six years. The basic requirements for Recertification are:

Educators must complete six semester hours of undergraduate or graduate level course work taken at a U.S. regionally accredited educational institution after the date listed on current certificate.

  • Courses are to be taken in areas related to the current teaching position or administrator assignment or divided among subject areas the educator is teaching if teaching more than one subject.
  • Three of the six semester hours may be earned in subject areas that will qualify the educator for another position category within DoDEA.
  • Effective January 1, 2006, up to three semester hours of course work taken during the final four months of a renewal cycle that are not needed for that cycle may be carried over to the next renewal cycle.  Hours for a single course may not be split between two renewal cycles.    

Educators must apply for Recertification, at least 12 months prior to the expiration date of their current certificate to avoid receiving a "Projected Notice of Deficiency (PNOD)."

Procedures for Recertification are:

Additional Teaching Categories

Educators wishing to add a category(ies), specialty areas / skill sets or advanced placement (AP) courses to a current DoDEA certificate during a non-recertification year must:

  • Consult “DoDEA Teaching Categories and Requirements” on our web site to determine eligibility teaching categories.
  • Consult “Specialty Areas / Skill Sets and Advanced Placement" on our DoDEA Teaching Categories & Requirements page to determine eligibility for specialty areas/skill sets and advanced placement courses.
  • Submit the DoDEA Certification/Recertification Worksheet Request and check “A-Certification, Add Endorsements” or any other form of written communication, e.g., email or letter request.
  • Attach updated official transcripts, signed as “true copy” by building administrator and a copy of your valid state teaching license and/or valid DoDEA teaching certificate issued after October 1, 2001.
  • Underline or list supporting course work thought to meet the category requirements and email to your HQ Licensure Analyst.