Assessments for English Language Learners (ELLs)
With the implementation of the College and Career Ready Standards (CCRS), DoDEA has adopted assessments to measure English language proficiency of English Language Learners (ELLs). DoDEA has selected the WIDA ACCESS for ELLs assessments to be administered in the spring semester. The WIDA ACCESS for ELLs assessments measure a student’s academic language acquisition in the domains of listening, speaking, reading, and writing. As with LAS Links assessments, the WIDA assessments are administered in paper form this school year.
ESOL students in Grades K-12 will be administered the WIDA ACCESS for ELLs assessments to monitor their progress in acquiring academic English.
- Kindergarten ESOL students will be administered the Kindergarten WIDA ACCESS assessment.
- ESOL students in Grades 1-12 will be administered the ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 assessment
- ESOL students with severe cognitive disabilities are eligible for the WIDA Alternate ACCESS for ELLs assessment.
Features of the WIDA assessments include:
- Assessment of the four language domains of listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- Alignment with the WIDA English Language development standards in Social and Instructional Language, Language of Language Arts, Language of Mathematics, Language of Science, and Language of Social Studies
WIDA ACCESS Assessment Score Reports
Student results are reported as scale scores and as English language proficiency (ELP) level scores for the each of the four language domains.
- Scale scores fall within the 100 – 600 range and each domain has a separate scale.
- ELP level scores describe student performance as one of six ELP levels: 1-Entering, 2-Emerging, 3-Developing, 4-Expanding, 5-Bridging, and 6-Reaching.
Sample ACCESS for ELLs score report
Resources for Teachers, Parents, and Students
Informational Guides and Score Report Guides
Resources for assessment administration and reporting
Resources for teachers to use in planning for instruction
Additional resources can be found on the WIDA website and the WIDA Secure Portal.
Please contact your child’s teacher or school administrator with any questions regarding CCRS summative assessments.