Assessments for Learning
Assessment for learning happens in the classroom and involves students in every aspect of their own assessment to build their confidence and maximize their achievement. It rests on the understanding that students, not just adults, are data-driven instructional decision makers. The resources below are sample assessment resources that teachers and students may use to adjust teaching and learning to meet individual student needs.
K-5 Literacy (ELA): Benchmark Advance, Digital Platform: Benchmark Universe
- Elementary Literacy instructional materials and assessments from Benchmark Advance are available for teachers to access within the digital platform, Benchmark Universe. Option A is linked through Clever and Option B is the demo account.
- Students may access Benchmark Universe using their DoDEA-provided credentials through Clever. Once in Benchmark Universe, students can view assignments and assessments that are assigned by their classroom teachers, along with other digital resources.
- Additional support for Benchmark Universe eAssessments can be found here.
6-12 Social Studies Curriculum and Assessment Resources
- Secondary Social Studies (Grades 6 – 12) instructional materials and assessments are available for teachers to access within the digital platform for each product. McGraw Hill resources can be accessed via Schoology or Clever. Pearson and Cengage resources can be accessed via Schoology. The resources for HMH can be accessed via a link shared with the teachers to Ed My Friend in Learning.
- Students may access the resources through Schoology, Clever or the link provided to them by their teacher. Students have access to their digital textbook, review resources, and assignments and assessments assigned by their teacher.
K-5 Math - GoMATH!
- Elementary Math curriculum materials and assessments are available for both teachers and students at http://www-k6.thinkcentral.com/
- In order to log in to the system, users must first select DoDEA as the state, and then select the correct District and School. Students should utilize their DoDEA log-in credentials provided in ASPEN. Students may view assignments and assessments that are assigned by the teacher in their "Things to Do" list, however, they are always able to view the textbook and virtual support (manipulatives, glossary, etc) in their virtual "library".
K-5 Science – FOSS Assessment System
- For students in grades K-2, the FOSS Assessment System provides a variety of assessment tools including science notebooks, performance assessment checklists, and for grades 1-2 CCRSS-aligned formative assessment tools called I-Checks (I Check my Understanding) for the end of each investigation.
- For students in grades 3-5, the FOSS Assessment System provides a digital assessment platform called FOSSmap which includes I-Checks for the end of each investigation and Posttests at the end of each module. The 3rd-5th grade assessment tools also include the science notebooks and the performance assessment checklists.
- Student and teachers may access the system via this link.
Grades 6 – 12 Literacy (ELA) Curriculum and Assessment Resources
For teachers who have designed their courses with HMH Collections as the basis for instruction:
- Instructional materials and assessments for English Language Arts (Grades 6-12) are available for teachers and students to access through the HMH digital platform.
- Teachers can access these resources by using their login credentials to log onto the website.
- Students have access to their online textbook and accompanying resources, assignments and assessments that teachers have assigned to them. In order to access these resources, students must use their login information provided to them by their teachers to log onto the website and navigate to the appropriate page(s).
For teachers who have designed their courses with ELA Model Units as the basis for instruction:
- All ELA Model Units and accompanying resources are available in the Schoology group DoDEA College and Career Ready Educator Resources (Purple Apple Group).
- At the end of each unit, teachers can find a Unit Performance Assessment (UPA) which is a standards-aligned performance assessment capturing the essential skills and provide assessment of a bundle of focus standards highlighted in the unit. These UPAs, when taken together, present a cohesive account of a student’s progress toward standards-based learning targets.
Math 6 - Algebra II - Edulastic
- Students are able to complete teacher- and district-created formative assessments to provide ongoing data to inform teaching and learning. Students access the web-based platform through Clever.
Math 6 - Algebra II - MATHia from Carnegie Learning
- Students are able to complete formative assessment lessons that closely align with their classroom curriculum (EngageNY) at their own pace, providing teachers ongoing data on what students understand and where they are struggling. Students access the web-based platform through Clever.
High School Upper-Level Mathematics - WebAssign
- Students are able to complete teacher- created assignments and formative assessments to provide ongoing data to inform teaching and learning. Students access the web-based platform online using credentials provided by their teacher.
Secondary Science (Grades 6 – 12)
- Instructional resources and assessments are available for teachers to access within the digital platform for each product. The resources for HMH can be accessed via a link shared with the teachers to Ed My Friend in Learning.
- For Advanced Placement courses, instructional resources can be accessed through the Mastering Platform. Students have access to their digital textbook, review resources, and assignments and assessments assigned by their teacher.