Fort Knox schools are a part of the Kentucky Community in the DoDEA Americas Southeast District. The mission of the Fort Knox Community Schools is to educate, engage, and empower each student to succeed in a dynamic world.
We employ the process of Total Quality Education throughout our school system, which results in growth and improvement through the use of data, stakeholder involvement, and consensus building.
We desire to maximize student successes and to help students develop to their fullest potential. Mastery Learning, a key concept embedded in every school, offers students opportunities for success through reteaching and retesting. Earned success for every student is the goal, and our parents are key to all efforts and successes.
Approximately 1,550 students attend four schools:
|School||Office Hours||Student Hours:
Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri
|Student Hours: Thursday|
Van Voorhis ES
|7:30 am - 4:00 pm||
8:30 am - 3:15 pm
8:30 am - 11:15 am
8:30 am - 2:00 pm
8:30 am - 11:15 am
|Kingsolver ES||7:30 am - 4:00 pm||8:30 am - 3:15 pm||8:30 am - 2:00 pm|
|Scott MS||7:00 am - 3:30 pm||7:30 am - 2:35 pm||7:30 am - 1:20 pm|
|Fort Knox HS||7:00 am - 3:30 pm||7:30 am - 2:35 pm||7:30 am - 1:20 pm|
Our schools are fully supported by significant hardware, software, and technology staff at both the district and the school levels. Each school has a high-speed network that enables computer users to access programs and files on servers and to share devices, such as laser printers. Every school has a computer lab, and the larger schools have two labs. The computer to student ratio is 1 to 2. School computers have broadband Internet access.
In addition, every school has a digital network that brings Kentucky Educational Television programs into the classroom. All schools have closed circuit and cable television programs. For instruction, every school has numerous TVs, VCRs, DVD players, SMARTboards/whiteboards, and projectors. Wi-Fi is available, and media centers are areas for students to check out electronically the textbooks or any other books they need.
On January 1, 1932, Congress designated Camp Knox as a permanent garrison and changed the name to Fort Knox. The post's Commander, Brigadier General Julian R. Lindsey (1932-34), established the Fort Knox Dependent Schools and appointed three school board members. Students were educated in tarpaper shacks. By 1935, enrollment had reached 85. In that year, a two-year high school was started. The first graduating class of 1936 consisted of four male students.
The Crittenberger Building
was constructed in 1951 as an elementary school for 630 students. The
school was named after Townsend Woodhull Crittenberger, Corporal, U.S.
Army. The son of Lieutenant General Willis Dale Crittenberger and a
former Fort Knox student, Corporal Crittenberger was killed in action
during the Rhine River crossing on March 25, 1945. The school added
lunchroom facilities in 1966 and a library building in 1988. Crittenberger joined Van Voorhis School in 1993 as the only year-round
schools in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. In 1996, because of decreased
enrollment and a projected budget shortfall, Crittenberger students,
staff, and materials moved to other schools. During the 1997-98 school
year, district-level staff consolidated operations into what is now
Crittenberger Central Staff Offices. In 2003, Crittenberger was
selected as Headquarters of the Kentucky District, comprised of
Fort Knox and Fort Campbell schools.