"Boarding school" is defined as a school providing residence halls on campus and meals in addition to an education.
NOTE: Boarding school is an authorized option for students in grades 6-12 only.
- The DSSR Away From Post allowance is based upon the location of the sponsor's duty assignment. Any expenses above the DSSR allowance will be the responsibility of the sponsor. All school fees are part of the DSSR allowance
- You may choose to send your child in grades 6-12 to a boarding school, whether or not there is an adequate school at location.
- You may choose to send your child to boarding school in a country different from your post location or in the U.S. If you choose a boarding school in a foreign country, foreign currency fluctuation is not factored in the DSSR allowance and may cause excessive out-of-pocket costs for the sponsor.
- Contact NDSP Program Management to verify if the specific boarding school choice is authorized.
- A private day school without boarding within the U.S. and its territories is not authorized.
- The supplemental instructional allowance is not available when utilizing a boarding school (academic support, supplemental courses, and gifted education).
- Refer to Expenses for more information regarding allowable and non-allowable expenses.
NOTE: The sponsor is required to remove the student from Cost of Living Allowances (COLA) when the student is Away From Post. See the Payment/Reimbursement Procedures section of this website for reimbursement of transportation expenses for boarding school.
Boarding School Transportation
- Authorization for transportation for boarding school students is allowed up to the DSSR limit for the location.
- NDSP will fund transportation from the duty station to school once at the beginning of the school year and once at the end of the school year.
- Student must be on official travel orders issued by the Service, command or agency.
- Self-procurement of tickets is not allowed.
Follow the procedures as outlined in the Travel Process for Boarding School Students.
If your command/agency has questions please have them contact the NDSP Resource Management Team.